Re: Understanding Terms and Services

TOUs that are vague and let the company have all the power are one reason Trust Frameworks have been developed (see OIX.org)
and once the personal data ecosystem is built out, and you have control, either through preselected defaults or on a case by case basis as you choose,
You will tell the service what your terms are..

and they can take or leave them and you can move on to another service that treats your data well if you don't like it.

It will become a competitive advantage for a company to accept your terms (think in ways similar to Creative Commons which has three buttons--
where you might say: you can keep my data for the duration of our relationship, you can not share my data with any third parties, my data is
only available to you for our transactions) and where vendors and services are subject to audits.

That's the coming reality..

but it flips the model from client-server (where the server sets the terms) to one where individuals have power to negotiate equitably ..
or services will face shaming in the marketplace and competition from other services that do it right..

This will take a little while.. but many sides are pushing on this.. and it will happen in the next few years..

mary