Re: wifi off to not be tracked

The article seems to think that my MAC address is an anonymous tag, but I rather doubt that.  Recall that I found my laptop's MAC address in a database of WiFi locations (it's since gone) and I would not be at all surprised to find that someone has it explicitly linked to me.  There was a report of how to find out the originating device's MAC address when an IP (e.g. web) transaction is done, even though the packet has been through multiple routers, if I recall correctly.

On Apr 21, 2012, at 5:06 , Karl Dubost wrote:

> As soon we wave a flag, we are identifiable. This time a company (Navizon) which is using WIFI device signature to geolocate people "anonymously" until the device signature is a known identifier for their identity.
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/mimssbits/27784/?p1=blogs
>
> --
> Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
> Developer Relations, Opera Software