Re: wifi off to not be tracked

Karl,

I think is very interesting and presents an important point of
discussion for public privacy. Tracking wi-fi, is very similar in some
ways to video surveillance, which still represents public -privacy
issues that  need better resolutions.

There was an article in the UK about the need for notice in tracking
back in January.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/11/phone_tracking_expert/

I have been discussing this case with the lawyer who was quoted in
this article.  To make a long story short I am currently testing a
hypothesis, which has now involved sending in 4 complaints about
corporate notice (CCTV) practices to the UK ICO's office. The
compliant is asking the ICO to enforce the requirement for CCTV signs
to be displayed appropriately according to the 1998 Data Protection,
in part for the precedent in dealing with the emerging wi-fi tracking
and legal requirements for notice.  The idea being to develop a common
set of processes for administering consent and control of tracking
using data protection within the context of tracking. I am hoping for
a response next week and am looking to work towards a general
framework for privacy in surveillance and best practices for notice.

One question that has come up is weather or not this information
collected is personal, in what ways does your wi-fi beceome PII and
require data protection?   My contention here is that this tracking
data is retro-active, in that, in the future historical tracking data
can be made personal.  Therefore, I am wondering if this type of
tracking should be classified as personal data when it is collected.
The companies performing these services argue that the data tracked is
not personal.

Thanks for this link,

Mark