Re: Lightning talk at W3C camp

On 18 April 2012 15:22, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> wrote:

> Le 18 avr. 2012 à 09:11, Dan Brickley a écrit :
>> The 'privacy is dead, get over it' line risks having us
>> give up on the possibility for private online communication rather
>> prematurely.
>
> And… it is not true. Once again, what is privacy (in _your own_ definition)?
> I have my own idea, but I'm curious about this line of thought.
> Could Peter or Dan explain?

I won't attempt an inclusive definition - it's probably a loose
family-resemblance kind of concept.

But in this context - I value in particular the ability for people to
say and do things online with some technically and social/legally
grounded evidence that unexpected others aren't monitoring and logging
one's activities, e.g. to allow anonymous or pseudonymous activities.
In practice, you have to be very technical and have time on your hands
to achieve that without placing some trust in big companies to (a)
behave well (b) be easily infiltrated (c) be forced into misbehaviour
by govts.

Dan