Re: Privacy Design Guidelines by GSMA

Hi Kasey, Richard, Pat,

I looked at the document briefly.

The guidelines are more or less identical to the existing privacy principles (like the OECD privacy principles). Nothing wrong with that.

There are examples provided as well. That's good.

My first impression: this is republishing existing privacy principles in a slightly different format. Many recommendations are common-sense (at least in theory) but a "a bit more difficult" in practice (e.g., 'keep data secure').

Here is the big question: Will this have any impact?

I personally hope it has even though I do not see the big difference to all the other privacy principles documents. I am wondering whether application developers are unaware of what controls they have to provide or whether these privacy controls are just not in their (business) interest. At least when I look at my mobile phone apps then I do get the impression that developers do not quite like data minimization...

Ciao
Hannes