Re: do we have a right to be forgotten?

OK, but then we find

Teacher put on admin. leave for having acted in pornographic movies -- in the distant past.
<http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-08/news/28686352_1_adult-films-exotic-dancer-teacher>

She did nothing illegal;  heck, if she had, she would have served her time and then to a large extent it wouldn't be legal to use that against her. But society punished her anyway.

And even in a slander or libel case, one doesn't get the right to have the accusations become as if they never existed; one gets the right to rebut and seek damages for the consequences.

Do we really have a right to insist that facts about us become un-known?

On Mar 14, 2011, at 14:24 , Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:

> That would be doubleplusungood.
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> <http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/03/14/1919238/Should-We-Have-a-Right-To-Be-Forgotten-Online?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashdot%2FeqWf+%28Slashdot%3A+Slashdot%29>
>
> Personally, I hope not.  If the mechanisms exist such that I can exercise them and cause myself to be forgotten, someone else can exercise those same mechanisms on anyone's behalf.
>
> Anyone want to be an 'unperson'? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newspeak_words#Unperson>
>

> David Singer

David Singer