Re: Opening UP Notice: A structure to apply policy infrastructure Re: oo.apple.com

Malcolm,

These are great links to excellent efforts and work in the technical
development of notice.  This work and efforts like P3P provide a clear
benchmark for the development of notification standards online.  Not
only have these been essential they are correct in that the
development of notice for privacy is critical and dramatically needs
improvement.

Although, I think that the current challenges we are discussion go
beyond privacy notices.  At this time there is no standard for simply
putting notices and signs on the Internet.  No basic online standard
for finding and accessing notices that are public facing.

Physical signs have limitations to accessibility as they are dependant
on being seen. Internet policies are limited online as they are not
easy to find and navigate.  Both forms of notice delivery have no
simple online standard for posting a notice and sharing best practice
for formatting links to layer information.

This work you refer to that has been done in the area of privacy
notices are a beacon to furthering the quality of notices and should
be used as the example for the further development of an Online Open
Notice Standard.

In this regards I especially liked :

> “Ten Steps To Develop a Multilayered Privacy Notice”.  To see this
> work, to the Centre Resources page at www.hunton.com/Resources/Sites/general.aspx?id=330
>  and scroll down towards the end of the page to the heading called
> Multilayered Notices.

What I see as 'The Big Issue':

At this time, there is little way to see what mode of control
information is subject to online and therefore difficult to enforce
security and privacy to reduce risk and increase trust in information
sharing activities for the individual.   It seems there is no top
level notice structure/standard to find, place and automatically
navigate the tons of notices people receive, let alone the privacy
notices that currently exist.  I suggest that a standard initiative
should start by imagining what a general online notice and sign
standard should be?  The simple standard before a privacy standard, a
general purpose online standard that provides systematic
accessibility.  For example a standard that would enable pull signs on
a door to be translated into audio for the visually impaired.  Or a
standard which enable street signs to be augmented by online notice
information as to translate English signs into Spanish when viewed
through the camera of a mobile phone.

Before privacy has any meaning notification information, especially
governance and control based information needs to be immediately
accessible and then understandable.  First before a person can
understand privacy implication basic accessibility and
internationalisation of notices (not only privacy policies) need to be
physically accessible, then understandable, then verifiable.  These I
think are the most critical challenges facing the basic development of
privacy online.  Please correct me if this sort of observation may be
wrong!!

Best Regards / Mark Lizar