geolocation and data retention

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:01:58 -0400
Geolocation and data retention.

    Today at Where 2.0 Pete Warden and I will announce
    the discovery that your iPhone, and your 3G iPad, is
    regularly recording the position of your device into
    a hidden file. Ever since iOS 4 arrived, your device
    has been storing a long list of locations and time
    stamps. We're not sure why Apple is gathering this
    data, but it's clearly intentional, as the database
    is being restored across backups, and even device
    migrations.

    The presence of this data on your iPhone, your
    iPad, and your backups has security and privacy
    implications. We've contacted Apple's Product
    Security team, but we haven't heard back.

    What makes this issue worse is that the file is
    unencrypted and unprotected, and it's on any machine
    you've synched with your iOS device. It can also be
    easily accessed on the device itself if it falls
    into the wrong hands. Anybody with access to this
    file knows where you've been over the last year,
    since iOS 4 was released.
    — http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/04/apple-location-tracking.html

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/