Re: do not track list?

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:29:27 +0100
Cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, public-privacy@w3.org
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
On 15 Nov 2010, at 15:02, Rigo Wenning wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/business/media/10privacy.html?pagewanted=all&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a26
>
> there is a suggestion to have "do not tracking" lists following
> the example of the "do not call" lists. They imagine a browser
> button or a button on the page.
>
> This looks like something where a discussion with technical folks
> would be beneficial for the regulators.

+1

It looks like some folks are working on a specific proposal:
	http://donottrack.us/

The basic idea: Put "X-Do-Not-Track: 1" into HTTP headers.  It would be interesting to look at deployment (and compliance) incentives for this technology, and at what it actually means for a user not to be tracked.

Also, what's the scope of this sort of exercise -- Do I opt out of all tracking, including pseudonymous profiles?  Do I only opt out of tracking that identifies me?

Thoughts?

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>  (@roessler)