Re: Evolving Notice and Consensus for W3 to consider OECD Input

Ah, yes.. The be careful what you wish for adage.  Unfortunately
companies and governments have increased their ability to monitor and
communicate with people digitally yet people still dont have the
ability to give notice to companies or governement digitally about
their own preferences.   This is still a written process that is
difficult to automate. (e.g. a SAR API) Not a very balanced
situation.  But I do agree there is risk to any involvement at this
level.  Thanks for the wise words.  :-)

Although this is an extension of W3C stated position in this respect
so far (inserted below).  Perhaps there is a better way to recommend
something a bit stronger than encouraging privacy friendly behaviour?

(food for thought)

- Mark
Rigo Wenning and Thomas Roessler, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

As a universal, distributed application platform, the Web links
personal data across individuals, organizations, and countries. New
sensor APIs also give Web applications access to users’ location and
to  their physical environment.
Everyday events – from the morning run to the credit card payment –
are automatically brought online and shared online among friends and
strangers.
Technology helps users defend against some intrusions, and it helps
users understand who learns what about them. But when the data about
preferences and habits that fuels the business models behind today’s
ecosystem of free services is gleaned from users’ online interactions,
the policy framework needs to encourage privacy friendly behavior.