RE: Location services and age limit Re: Location in the news

It is absolutely not the case that every company provides a uniform service
in every country in which it operates. Companies have to make all kinds of
adjustments to fit in with local laws, so having variable ages of
majority/consent is not novel.

In Spain, for example, they have a specific law which says that a child must
be 14 (not 13 as in the USA and many other countries) before he or she can
join, for example, a  social networking service without first obtain
verifiable parental consent. So at least to join MySpace or Facebook in
Spain the rule is 14, not 13.

In Sweden it is absolutely forbidden to advertise certain products, so they
are not advertised within the .se domain - even though I might be using the
.se domain outside of Sweden where that kind of advertising is allowed. I am
a British citizen. I pay my licence fee for the BBC. Yet if I am in Egypt
(and most other countries) I cannot watch BBC programmes on my laptop. They
detect that I am not in the UK. If I try to play the lottery outside of the
UK.....The list of examples like this goes on and on.

And by the way, there is only one age recognised globally as being the age
of majority, that is 18 (although it allows for local variation true
enough). Defined by the UNCRC. Also the idea is not to stop any child under
the age of 18 from being the subject of or using a location service. The
idea is that where it is established that such a person is under that age
the supplier of the location service must first obtain verifiable parental
consent. Very do-able if the company is willing to go to the trouble and
expense of setting up the systems.

Of course it is always possible that bad guys will invent fake ways of
"proving" you are over 18, but does that provide an alibi for inaction? I
don't think so. That way madness lies. You would never do anything if you
anticipated what illegal methods might derail something. No such fake ways
of getting around the UK gambling web sites' requirements have yet emerged
in the UK. Has the odd child managed to get around the rules? Maybe, but we
haven't heard of any cases yet.

This is about making an effort to get it right. It is not about having to
get it right 100% of the time. That would be unreasonable. It is not what
the law requires in relation to gambling. As with real world situations you
are only required to make reasonable efforts.

If I had a pound (or a dollar) for every time I had heard the following, I'd
be writing this email from my spare yacht in the Caribbean.

"Hey guys. I've thought about this a hell of a lot. My reasoned conclusion
is that we should leave things just as they are and do nothing. We got this
right again. Phew! Think of all the money and effort I just saved us."