RE: Location services and age limit Re: Location in the news

If you string up a high wire across Niagara Falls you don't have to be
Einstein to predict that, sooner or later, short of other measures being put
in place, someone is going to try to walk across it and in the attempt they
will "get hurt". It really isn't necessary to wait until someone does.  The
answer is either not to put the high wire up there in the first place, or
don't walk away leaving it unguarded.

I am 99.99% certain that if one of the big internet players could work out a
way to make money from age verification they would do it in a heartbeat. I
simply do not believe that the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because
of noble concerns about reverse engineering to discover who is a child. And
anyway the analogy given does not work. The fact that you are not signed up
for a service that is limited to persons aged 18 or above does not prove
that you are a child. It only proves that you haven't signed up for that
service. I am a tad over 18 but hell will freeze over before I join an
online gambling site or become a member of an online dating service.

If you read the adjudication of the Canadian Privacy Commission in the case
of Facebook you will see that, inter alia, she said the following

"...............I believe something much more substantial in the way of
safeguards is required.  Specifically, I mean technological safeguards that
will not simply forbid, but effectively prevent, developers' unauthorized
access to personal information that they do not need."

Not exactly on my point, but close enough I think.

I am not a techie like you guys are. I am looking for help to put right what
I see as a very obvious wrong. Maybe this is the wrong place to seek that
help, but I've certainly enjoyed the exchange. My point is very simple:
location services cross a line and it is outrageous that companies have put
them out there on to the "free" internet with nominal age limits attached
knowing perfectly well they have no means of enforcing those  age limits.
Kids will "get hurt". It is simply a question of when and how. They needn't
have been, and in the shitstorm that will follow, the internet companies
that have allowed these things to happen will have brought regulation a step
closer. There are none so blind as those that will not see, particularly if
it is dollar signs that are obscuring the view.