Re: Location in the news

Quoting "Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ)" <ifette@google.com>:

> I do think it's a bit misguided to blame the API. You could just as easily
> provide a map and say "where are you?" - or, as FourSquare does, let you
> search from a list of places to choose from. Does the API make it a bit
> easier? Yes, but blaming the API for misuse is about the same as blaming
> fertilizer for use in a bomb. It's certainly legitimate to ask how we
> protect users privacy and protect children from unwittingly exposing
> themselves to harm, but given that
>
> a) there's really no good way (in the US) to distinguish children online
> b) you can still easily give up your location details w/o this API
>
> it's a bit strange to call it an API problem. E.g. would you actually be
> happy with a situation where if you're over 18 foursquare uses geolocation
> but if you're under 18 it makes you choose your location from a map? Would
> that really make a material difference? I would suspect not, and for the
> same reason believe that focusing on the geolocation API is looking in the
> wrong place for a solution.

I agree with Ian. This is not an API issue. Seems like lazyness on the
part fourspuare. I hear Flickr has a pretty good model for stopping
children registering into the site (have not tried it myself, but my
girlfriend tells me that she tried to make an account for our dog, who
is 5 - Flickr didnt allow her to correct the age range and required
some kind of credit card micropayment before allowing the account to
be created).