Re: [css-page-floats][css-multicol] column-span: <integer> (Was: [css-page-floats] First cleanup)

> On 26 Mar 2015, at 12:56, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com> wrote:
>
> You also removed "column-span: <integer>". While this is arguably the wrong spec to host this, I believe this is actually something that should be preserved. It may have been underspecified, but the concept is sound and useful. (I am a lot less convinced about column-span: page).
>
> Yes, I totally agree. The idea of column span makes a lot of sense. It just seemed to be somewhat separate issue and not part of the page float concept.
>

> I am not sure I can invest the time to be the editor of a new level of multi-col if it should cover more than this addition, but for this specific feature, I can put in the time needed to make sure it is specified properly and to respond to feedback.
>
> Should we restore it to the css-page-floats spec until a more appropriate spec to host it is ready?
>
> Should I start a multi-col level 2 (as a diff spec) for this feature?
>

> I would say put this is in a new mult-col spec, but I am new to your guys' work processes. If it's complicated/difficult to start a new spec that requires a lot of time, we can temporarily add a section entitled something like "unrelated specifications" at the end of the page float specification until it can be moved to its own specification.

Starting a new level of multi-col isn't that much work, and I am willing to do it. Assuming the group agrees this is a useful feature, this is what we should do sooner or later.

There is a risk that starting that draft will also invite people to think about other ways multi-col could/should be extended and send the group comments about these new ideas, which is only a good thing if the group is interested in moving multicol further, and willing to spend the time needed to address these contributions. Otherwise, we could be wasting everyone's time.

Personally, I can commit enough time to set up a draft and to actively take care of this feature. I would also in general be happy to see general progress on the topic of multi-col, but I do not however at the moment have the resources to drive this whole topic myself.

 - Florian