Re: [css-page-floats] First cleanup

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Johannes Wilm wrote:
>
>  > I have spent the last few weeks looking at the manuals of PrinceXML, the
>  > Antennahouse Formatter, Håkon Wium Lie's CSS Figure Spec [1] and have
>  > discussed with the Vivliostyle team what they would need from a page
> float
>  > spec.
>  >
>  > I have tried to add the most important points to the CSS Page Float spec
>  > draft
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page-floats/
>
> It's good to see renewed interest in Page Floats; I believe the
> approach taken fits well with the capabilities of CSS and the needs of
> publishers.

> I also undertand the need to reduce scope to tempt implementors.

Great!

> However, it's important to support the most common use cases. THE use
> case for page floats is an image spanning two columns, floating to the
> top corner of the article.

I agree that column spanning is a very cool feature, but I am slightly
afraid that keeping too many only somewhat related features in this spec
may mean that it won't attract interest. Also, it seems like the complexity
grows incrementally if stacking has to be defined in ways that involve
column span.

I believe the next tele meeting will talk about whether to create a new
multicol draft where this would be developed further.

[...]

> The inside/outside keywords on float have also been removed in the
> draft. They're quite useful, and to me they are core to page floats.

I can also see that Inside/outside can be helpful, but this is for page
based media in general, not specific for floats. And from what I can tell,
the same effect can be achieved by setting separate styles for @page :right
and @page :left, right?