Re: Font feature switches

On Sat, 2014-06-21 at 17:22 +0200, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
[...]
> The problem of XSL-FO is the lack of font feature switches:
> 1) enable/disable kerning
> 2) enable/disable various ligature types
> 3) enable/disable smallcaps and old-style figures
>
> Additionally I can't see any syntax to enable microtypographic features:
> a) protrusion (hanging punctuation)
> b) expansion

We added some or all of these features for XSl-FO 2.0 but were forced to
abandon that work because of a lack of participation. There's no-one
actively working on the FO spec itself these days I'm afraid.

I don't remember if the drop caps and OpenType font feature stuff made
it into the SO 2 draft or not, but if not, the CSS syntax has
implementations and adoption so that's probably the way to go. Ask your
FO vendor to support the CSS properties. It might be worth using this
community group's wiki to document such extensions.

[...]

> There is also proposals for 'hanging-punctuation', but the current version
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#hanging-punctuation-property seems to be
> very limited.

Yes - it needs someone to improve the spec.

Liam