Re: Meetup at XML Prague 2014?

On 01/08/2014 08:57 AM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 8.1.2014 13:48, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> Point being, and this is seriously a major point, and people have
>> suggested it by mentioning tutorials and education. It's about outreach.
>> A minor part of the problem is technology, the majority is education. So
>> when people "silo"...and XML Prague is a "silo", just like conferences I
>> attend, it's a problem. We all get a bit too caught up in believing our
>> own stuff.
> Well you should then visit XML Prague to see that we are very open and
> not centered around one idea, including XSL-FO. In past we have
> presentations related to other formatting technologies including CSS and
> Speedata. In past TeX was used to typeset proceedings.
>
>     Jirka
>
> BTW, we have extended period for Friday proposal by one week, so if
> anyone else has interesting idea for publishing track, he/she is welcomed.

Jirka, although I've quite extensively traveled in Europe, Prague hasn't
been a place I've visited. Believe you me, the wife and I would like to.
Perhaps for XML Prague 2015.

As to your comments, I didn't mean to suggest that the discussions at a
typical XML Prague or any other conference are useless. I attend a few
conferences or conventions and have spoken at some. What I meant is that
in a way a conference like that is a social event, that's why I used the
term "silo". Good information is exchanged, obviously, just like at a
conference on physical oceanography. But it does not get widely
disseminated. That's what I meant by outreach.

May I say, without offending anyone here, that Dave in this group has
done more than anyone else here, over the years, to educate.

Arved