Re: EXSLFO?

On Sat, February 1, 2014 8:47 pm, G. Ken Holman wrote:
> At 2014-02-02 18:20 +0000, Tony Graham wrote:
>>This is probably mostly for Ken, since he was involved in it, but what
>> can
>>we learn from the EXSLFO project at http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/?
>
> This effort was started by Eliot and I offered to support him.  You
> can see his appeal for others interested in participating to contact
> him directly, as I did.
>
> However, I'm guilty of not being very supportive.  And as I recall
> (the page was last touched November 2002) we didn't get any user
> requirements from anyone.

I think we all have the same difficulty.  I think a high proportion of
XSL-FO users support the idea of advancements in XSL-FO, but turning that
diffuse interest into action on their part is a challenge.

If you look at the survey results [1], it turns out that there's more
people outside the PPL CG who are more interested that we develop XSL-FO
specifications, and develop XSL-FO 2.0 in particular, than there are
people in the CG who want those things that strongly.

There is no such thing as the wrong level of participation in the CG or
the wrong level of participation in developing XSL-FO or any other
stylesheet language [2], so it's more a question of getting people to the
point of thinking their right level is to be actively participating rather
than either dismissing or damning the people who say we should do more but
don't do it themselves.

Regards,

Tony.

Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/ppl/2014/01/28/survey-results/
[2] Unless, oh happy day, you're being paid to do it but then you don't