Re: Customer requirement, a critque

On 24 February 2013 13:13, Patrick Gundlach <gundlach@speedata.de> wrote:

>> Rather than just go in an modify them, comments on the requirements.
>> http://www.w3.org/community/ppl/wiki/CustomerRequirements
>>
>> 3. -1 talking about products, surely we should be talking of
>> fo:blocks? Like it. Just a bigger version of 1?
>>   Please fit [id range perhaps?] or the contents of a
>> block-container, in n pages (please add 'starting on
>>   new page' as an option)
>
> I am not sure why you use the term "fo:blocks". As far as I know, this is not a special FO community. The Customer requirements are independent of a special technology.

I relate requirements to the xsl-fo wd. Hence requirements are for
implementation against that document
or a later version of it.

> Its not related to #1. There are arbitrary rules a customer can state about how to reach that goal. Implementing all these rules is impossible in a formatting engine, because these rules are highly dependent on the situation.

Eventually they will come down to an fo specification for pagination
in a formatter?
That is my target, it seems we differ somewhere Patrick?

>> 4. Is that a verb? (To catalog?)
>
> No sorry. I meant "product catalog"
>
>>   IMHO the formatter needs a get out clause? It is known that some
>> languages (German?) are incredibly
>>  verbose compared to others. Is there any language for expressing
>> max-white-space? I.e. if the ws
>>  gets more than x% then just do your best, or something along these
>> lines? How else to provide
>> the get out for the formatter, or would you want horrible big white
>> space?
>
> If a language A takes up 5 lines and another language B takes up 20 lines, then yes, in this case I want the whitespace to be 15 lines.

So what would you want to happen when the shorter language results in
'too much' white space?
In your example, 75% white space? That seems impractical to me.

> The goal is to make all color (images) in all product catalogs (n languages) exactly in the same space. But it should not contain unnecessary whitespace. So the "longest text" products determine the positioning of the color images. See my two pdf files I've uploaded to the wiki.
>
>> An alternative could be
>> expressed as 'fit these items in the same number of pages' in all
>> languages?
>
> No. See the constraint above (color images on the same space)

OK, I'll disagree with this requirement, on the grounds that the
result would be bad typography.

>> 5. I don't understand this. What images? Provided by whom? Would an
>> easier one be to simply
>> say, where a container has n-columns, to require column-balancing?,
>> i.e. leave ws at the end of
>> the two columns, in equal quantity?
>
> I've uploaded another pdf for that.

Where please?  URL?

>> 6. Is this a corner case Tony? I don't know. I can see the use where
>> 'which page this block goes on'
>> does not matter. IMHO your example is too specific?
>
> It is a very specific customer requirement (which this page is about). I am not sure how to generalize that.

Do you think such a specific use case is applicable for a general
specification such as XSL-FO?

regards

--
Dave Pawson