Re: Other paged media processing approach - summary

Am 12.02.2013 09:07, schrieb Nick Van den Bleeken:
> For me one of the biggest advantages of XSL-FO is its declarative nature. Not the authors but the spec writers and implementers have currently to do the hard work of defining and implementing the layout optimisation rules.
>
> As pointed out in this thread, it is maybe also one of its weakest points, because the standard (or extensions (proprietary or community driven?)) has to catch up with the author/implementors requirements, and implementors should update their implementation to handle those new attributes/elements.
>
> I'm not sure if it is feasible, but would it be an option that the 'call-back-API'/formatter-feedback-loop will be implemented using an XSL over the area tree? By sending layout feedback 'events' to the XSL stylesheet that handles the particular 'extension'. This would allow decoupling the use of the extension and implementation of the extension, and make them even implementation independent. (An implementation can of course optimise the extension by recognising it and implementing it natively).
The problem with this "call-back-API" through area tree is, that (as far
as I know), all known formatters write out the area tree after rendering
the whole document. If we could access the area tree right after a
single page was rendered, to build a loop page by page, would lead to an
enormous impact.
Does the spec says anything about at which particular time an area tree
has to be written out?

regards
Marko

--