Re: New Year. Renewed activity? New Chair?

I agree with Dave. We've got the 2.0 WD, and we've proposed a number of
things related to formatter feedback. There are and will be thoughts on
how to act on that feedback.

A reasonable first step seems to me to be, asking some general questions
before tackling specific nice-to-have feedback examples, e.g.:

1.  Do we go for a G.P. feedback + action API or tackle specific use
cases individually?

2. In latter case most reasonable approach is probably changes to FO XML
itself; in former (G.P.) case can be accommodated in a variety of ways,
including:

a. programming hooks - formatting feedback API that specifies how to
hook into running formatter (registering listeners on known events, etc
etc), how to program instructions to running formatter, etc;

b. Changes to FO - i.e. FO tree after XSLT step contains instructions to
the formatter, for acting on specific feedback. So this is the same as
if deciding to focus on individual use cases.

I like the idea of considering both approaches; 2a) more flexible but
requires more work. 2b) could handle some of the most desirable use
cases in a short time frame, leaving 2a) to handle the broader scope of
formatter feedback + actions.

Arved