Re: Revise group description?

On 12/29/2013 02:32 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Clarification please
> PDF and electronic publications?  I'm puzzled by that.
> Were I asked to send you an 'electronic' or soft copy of a document, I'd likely
> choose PDF. is this something specific to the DoD?

Mostly a matter of packaging - IETP (Interactive Electronic Technical
Publication), the S1000D remake of IETMs.  May be PDF-based, usually
some sort of HTML-like output built for an enhanced Panorama-like
browser/reader application (though it might be completely
HTML/CSS/browser-based).  Enigma, recently acquired by PTC, was doing
this kind of work back in the late 90s - one of their folks did a demo
back in one of my intro classes.

As opposed to "page-turner" PDFs, IETPs usually emphasize internal
linking, informational popups, and gimmicks like built-in "shopping
lists" for parts and on-the-fly filtering by aircraft tail number or
feature.

Cessna has an application called Cesview, developed in-house in the
early 2000s, that more-or-less fits the profile.  I built two prototype
datasets at Learjet, one browser-based and one PDF-based for an existing
display application, in 2012.

The crossover with XSL-FO is that the reader applications generally
include some sort of print capability, either screen-scraping HTML (ugh)
or using an internal FO processor to produce print pages for the screen
views (with page numbers, generated ToCs, etc.).  Commercial IETP
applications, for example, are the Arbortext S1000D suite and SDL IETPs.

DoD?  Only guilt by association - IETMs are generally attributed in this
country to the DoD, which is probably why S1000D rebranded them as IETPs
as they moved into the commercial aircraft market.

(Don't get me started on the whole IETM/IETP "they're completely
different" argument.)

--
Michael R. Hahn