Comment resolution: Updated Grouping and Formal docs

From: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:47:02 +0000
To: Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>
CC: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, Matt Womer <mdw@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
There have been two e-mail discussions going on in recent days
concerning the POWDER docs. One in public and one on a team-only list.
This e-mail, and the changes to which it refers, are designed to show
that those comments have been taken on board and relevant changes made.

Semantic Extension in the Formal Semantics Doc
Back In December, Eric Prud'hommeaux raised a 'minor nit' about the
wording that introduced the Semantic Extension [1]. Stasinos has argued
consistently that the original wording was correct but, given the weight
of opinion, as accepted that the change can be made [2] to allow the
document to move forward. I would like to record my personal thanks to
Stasinos for this as I know he remains convinced that he is right (in a
nutshell it comes down to whether you extend the RDF data layer or the
application layer).

The revised Formal Semantics document is now checked in at [3].

Canonicalisation in the Grouping of Resources Doc

This debate came about after POWDER was presented at a W3C team meeting
last month. Thomas Roessler was concerned about the less than precise
aspects of our canonicalisation steps. Dan and Eric joined in (the
team-only thread starts at [4]).

The canonicalisation section is the section of this doc that has caused
the most outside interest and has been shaped with the help of various
folk from the internationalisation domain. /However/ the sections that
were so altered were those concerning %decoding, Unicode, normalisation
to Form C etc. What wasn't discussed with the i18n community was the
short section at the end called 'Further steps.' It was /that/ section
that caught Thomas's eye as it was here that we talked about context,
knowing a URI was generated by a form submission and possible ambiguity
of Punycode to IDN conversion.

I played around with this, using the canonicalisation routine I use in
my processor and grouping tester [5, 6] as a guide (I made a separate
little UI for it at [7]). This actually showed the issue well - both
Andrea and I had been hiding behind the ambiguities ourselves and hadn't
actually implemented any of the IDN/Punycode stuff ourselves. I /had/
tried to implement the canonicalisation steps one by one but actually
had made a fist of it and done it in such a way that _created_ problems
in some edge cases (like query strings that happened to include a +
character). Once I stripped it down and used some standard methods it
became a) a lot simpler; b) deterministic without ambiguity.

End result, I've made a couple of slight edits to the grouping doc and
deleted the ambiguous section (and references to Punycode and IDNs).
What's left is simpler, non-ambiguous... and works in both my and
Andrea's processors.

Revised grouping doc is at [8].

Further comment notwithstanding, I am going to continue with final
preparations for our PR transition request (which means working with
Matt to make sure everything is in the right place, a little easier now
that I can do some of this myself).

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-powderwg/2009Mar/0004.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/Group/powder-formal/20090309.html with
diff-marked version at
(member-only links)

[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Team/w3t-tech/2009JanMar/0057.html
[5] http://i-sieve.com/cgi-bin/processor.cgi
[6] http://philarcher.org/cgi-bin/powder-group.cgi
[7] http://philarcher.org/cgi-bin/canon.cgi
[8] http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/Group/powder-grouping/20090309.html
with the diff-marked version at

Phil Archer

i-sieve technologies                |      W3C Mobile Web Initiative
Making Sense of the Buzz            |      www.w3.org/Mobile