W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-powderwg@w3.org > January 2009

Re: POWDER comments: multiple/alternate displaytext strings? (eg. different languages/scripts)

From: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:47:37 +0000
Message-ID: <49709E09.4070702@philarcher.org>
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>

Dan,

Sorry for the delay, but I can now answer this and your other e-mail 
properly.

Dan Brickley wrote:
> 
> 
> The situation w.r.t. use of multiplace displaytexts with different 
> languages and/or scripts is unclear:
> 
> In http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-primer-20081114/#create
> 
> "In addition, a textual and/or graphic summary that can be displayed to 
> end users may be included in a descriptor set using the displaytext and 
> displayicon elements as shown in the completed example below."
> 
>       <displaytext>Everything on example.com is red and 
> square</displaytext>
>       <displayicon src="http://authority.example.org/icon.png" />
> 
> 
> I understand from http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-dr-20081114/#appA 
> that displaytext is optional. And that "As shown in lines 13 and 14, a 
> textual and/or graphic summary that can be displayed to end users may be 
> included using displaytext and displayicon respectively. The GRDDL 
> transform maps these to  wdrs:text and wdrs:logo respectively."
> 
> Does "Optional" mean 0 or 1, or does it mean 0, 1 or more? 

It means any number (0, 1 or more). However, just before example 2-2 we 
also say:

"User agents MAY display the text and/or icon to end users in any way 
deemed appropriate. Since a DR can contain any number of descriptorset 
elements and therefore any number of displaytext and displayicon 
elements, exactly how, or whether, these are displayed is up to the 
application. As a result, DR publishers are strongly advised to include 
no more than one displaytext and displayicon per DR."


Can I have
> two different displaytext values with the same xml:lang? with different 
> xml:lang? How are these preserved/treated under the GRDDL transform?

Faithfully is the short answer (phew!). I've just got around to updating 
the group blog [1] which gives an update on where we are with 
implementations and the reporting thereof. Table 6 of the implementation 
report [2] is most pertinent to your questions I think. It links to the 
updated versions of the XSLTs and gives an example of a POWDER file with 
multilingual displaytext elements as a result of those transformations. 
I think you can take it that example.com and example.org are both very 
much red, however you say it.

Cheers

Phil.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/blog
[2] http://philarcher.org/powder/features.html#table6

> 
> Thanks for any clarification,
> 
> cheers,
> 
> Dan
> 
> -- 
> http://danbri.org/
> 
> 

-- 
Phil Archer
w. http://philarcher.org/
Received on Friday, 16 January 2009 14:48:19 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:42:14 GMT