From: public-powderwg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-powderwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Phil Archer
Sent: 06 January 2009 09:52
To: Andrea Perego
Cc: Public POWDER
Subject: Re: PROPOSED RESOLUTION (WAS Re: [Fwd: About
include/excludeiripattern])

OK, taking on board the general mood expressed in this thread, I've
written some alternative wording for the relevant section.

See http://philarcher.org/powder/grouping/20090106.html#wild

It still credits the WAF group but the reference is now informative and
is to the FPWD, not their latest draft.

OK??

Incidentally, it's not implemented yet in the P to P-BASE XSLT but if
Kevin has time to fix the query contains section of it, I am reasonably
confident that my copy, paste and edit skills will allow me to create
the relevant angle brackets to support this.

Andrea Perego wrote:
> I agree with you, Phil. Probably my comment was not clear. I summarise

> here the issue for those who are not aware of it.
>
> The constraints include/excludeiripattern have been included in the
> POWDER specs [1] since there existed a W3C WD proposing a pattern
> syntax for URLs, namely the "access item" syntax defined by WAF [2].
> So, the idea was to provide support to a possible alternative to the
> IRI constraints defined in the POWDER specs. As such, this was also
> meant to be a sort of built-in extension to the genuine POWDER IRI
> constraints.
>
> Since in the current WAF specs [3] the definition of the access item
> syntax has been dropped, include/excludeiripattern cannot any longer
> be considered  as an implementation of an existing pattern syntax, but

> as constraints adopting a specific IRI pattern syntax defined in the
> POWDER specs.
>
> In conclusion, I'm not against keeping include/excludeiripattern, but
> we need to rephrase the corresponding section in order to explain
> which is their purpose. In other words,  the paragraph:
>
> [[
> Enabling Read Access for Web Resources [WAF] defines a method for
> encoding the domains and sub-domains from which access to resources on

> a given Web site should be granted or denied. The includeiripattern
> and  excludeiripattern properties support this syntax directly.
> ]]
>
> needs to be rewritten by saying that include/excludeiripattern are an
> alternative way of denoting IRIs, specifically designed for URLs, and
> to denote the domains and sub-domains to which the description
> applies.
>
> Andrea
>
> ----
> [1]http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-grouping/#wild
> [2]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-access-control-20080214/#access
> [3]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-access-control-20080912/
>

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
wrote:
>> Sorry Andrea I'm a tad confused by your comment.
>>
>> If we were to keep this feature then we'd just re-word it a little so

>> as to remove reference to WAF - but everything else would stay the
>> same. In other words, it's no more work to keep it than to drop it
>> (except that it's not in the P to P-BASE XSLT, but I'm sure that can
>> be sorted easily enough once Kevin has debugged the query contains
bit).

>> Andrea Perego wrote:
>>> This might be an option, but I see it more as a way of defining an
>>> IRI pattern syntax simpler than regular expressions. I'm not sure we

>>> can still propose include/excludeiripatterns as an example of POWDER

>>> extension, at least not referring to Unix glob patterns, which are
>>> meant for relative / absolute paths, not for IRIs.
>>>
>>> Andrea

WG?

--
Phil Archer