Re: ETA on XSLT for POWDER to POWDER-S

On 3 Oct 2008, at 12:48, Phil Archer wrote:

> The XSLT engine I'll use in my (Perl) POWDER Processor is
> XML::LibXSLT [1]

Snap.

> - which, a bit of poking around, suggests only implements XSLT 1
> (I'm not 100% sure but it looks that way).

XML::LibXSLT is based on GNOME's libxslt library, which is XSLT 1.0
only. Amongst the libxslt development team there seems to be a desire
to add support for XSLT 2.0, but a feeling that it will take a lot of
work, so it's not on the roadmap right now.

> All of which leads me to conclude that an XSLT that goes from
> POWDER-BASE to POWDER-S just using XSLT 1 might actually be
> preferable to one that handles POWDER to POWDER-BASE to POWDER-S if
> that entails using XSLT 2. It's certainly workable and I for one
> will probably find it easier to implement.

Yep, that's my feeling too. For me, an XSLT 1.0 transformation that
does POWDER-BASE to POWDER-S would be a lot more useful than an XSLT
2.0 transformation that runs the full gamut.

Right now there are fairly few implementations of XSLT 2.0. There's
Saxon, but after that not much. Oracle XML Developers' Kit includes
some support, but AFAIK not full support. Qt 4.5 includes partial
support too. But many of the key XSLT libraries (Xalan, libxslt,
MSXML) don't yet offer anything beyond 1.0, and this seems unlikely
to change in the near future.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>