W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-powderwg@w3.org > November 2008

POWDER Processor update

From: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:27:42 +0000
Message-ID: <492EAE5E.2030000@philarcher.org>
To: Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>

Hi all,

I've been able to spend a little more time on my POWDER Processor [1] 
this week and have managed to implement a few of the missing things. I 
need to work through things in detail but I believe it is now very close 
to being a conformant processor - the To Do list is more or less down to 
things that make it easier to use and more robust.

New things it does:
  - support for direct description. That is, you can now give it the URI 
of a POWDER doc with a fragment identifier on the end and it'll use that 
  descriptor set.
  - Allied to that is support for u=referer.
  - I've set up a couple of test pages to demonstrate (and test) this 
which are linked from the blurb at the bottom of the processor's interface.

  - Output can now be as RDF/XML or the HTML page
  - Some debugging

One useful test case was Ivan's copyright example.

Ivan - I need to go through the comments you've sent previously and make 
sure you've had proper answers (I think we may not have actually done 
that, and with the PR transition request coming up, it's going to be 
important!)

Anyway, I've made a couple of minor changes to your copyright example in 
  line with the recently published docs. The main thing you'll see is 
that we resolved that FOAF/DC Agent classes cannot be included directly 
in a POWDER doc, so for your example to work, there will need to be a 
W3C FOAF file somewhere - can't be hard to do?

So that I can access the file online (and test it in the processor and 
validator) I've temporarily uploaded it to [2]. I ran some test URIs 
through it to make sure everything was as it should be and noticed a 
small typo where 'Buttons' had been written 'buttons' in one of the IRI 
sets.

Which reminds me - Jo Rabin did make a comment to me (verbally) that we 
might want to consider a case-insensitive switch on our IRI set 
definitions. Hmmm...

On a practical note, I'm trying to get this and the other bits of code 
I've done finished so they can be moved to w3.org servers. I've been 
using one of the FOSI servers for the development work so far - and 
tomorrow really is my absolute last day working for them so I really 
ought to get off their machines! My own little web space has no MySQL 
which is a pain (the processor uses it a lot).

There's more to do on this and the validator to get them toughened up, 
tested and made to look better but I'll keep at that task for the time 
being. It should provide a useful set of test tools for people to use - 
I only spotted the tiny typo in Ivan's example after spending 1.5 hours 
looking for the bug in my code...

Cheers for now

Phil

[1] http://keg.icra.org/cgi-bin/processor.cgi
[2] http://keg.icra.org/powder_examples/CopyrightResources.xml

-- 

Please note my new e-mail address. My ICRA/FOSI e-mail addresses will 
not function after this week.

Phil Archer
w. http://philarcher.org/
Received on Thursday, 27 November 2008 14:28:22 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:42:13 GMT