POWDER formal semantics 4.3 comments

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:46:19 -0500
To: public-powderwg@w3.org
Cc: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

A few comments, as requested in http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-formal-20081114/#status

1. I couldn't find a specification of the particular regular
expression syntax used (e.g. perl5). (Obviously this would be done by
reference, not inclusion.) A citation in section 4.3 would be
especially helpful.

2. Regarding the use of XMLLiteral in section 4.3, an OWL WG chair
tells me: "There's an issue in that it is not certain that XMLLiteral
will be a supported datatype in OWL 2 DL. It will be in OWL 2 with RDF
Semantics.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Nov/0110.html
If you think that will be a mistake, please send mail to public-owl-
comments. Soon."

3. Regarding "wdrs:matchesregex rdfs:domain rdfs:Resource" -- this
won't work in OWL DL. If you care about DL you should replace
rdfs:Resource with owl:Thing. I don't think anything will suffer much
for doing so.

4. IEXT is not defined; I think you should cite the document that
defines it. It appears you mean the 2004 RDF Semantics recommendation http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-mt-20040210/
  .  I see that you cite it in 4.6 but it is needed in 4.3.

5. If you mean for POWDER to work with OWL-DL, have you had anyone
review the POWDER semantics with an eye to interaction with OWL-DL
model theoretic semantics? Would you consider saying something about
this in your document, since OWL-DL semantics differs from RDF
semantics?

6. "equivalence relation" has a technical meaning in mathematics and I
don't think it's what you mean here. I think that if you just say
"relation" you will convey the right thing.

Best
Jonathan