Re: Request for two new media types submitted

On Dec 16, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> * Stasinos Konstantopoulos <konstant@iit.demokritos.gr> [2008-12-10
> 23:32+0200]
>>
>> Eric, hi.
>>

>> On Dec 8, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>
>>> Minor nit:
>>> [[
>>> We extend RDF with the datatype properties ...
>>> ]] — http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-formal-20081114/#SE
>>>
>>> would imply to me that the RDF machinery must be extended, as
>>> opposed
>>> to the application interpreting the RDF graph. Maybe something like:
>>> "POWDER-S uses an <a
>>> href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-semantics-20040210/syntax.html#owl_DatatypeProperty_syntax
>>> ">OWL DatatypeProperty</a> to relate a resource to a regular
>>> expression which that resource matches. While POWDER-S uses OWL
>>> classes to group resources, any engine determining if a resource
>>> belonged in one of these OWL classes would need to be able to test a
>>> resource against a regular expression."
>>
>> No, not at all, it is the underlying RDF representation where the
>> explicit data lives that is being extended; the inference layer is
>> not affected. Of course inference engines that directly manipulate
>> RDF data need to implement the extension, but in situations where a
>> clean interface exists between the two, the inference engine does
>> not need to know why the wdrs:matchesregex triples are asserted.
>
> An unextended RDF parser, database, and SPARQL query engine can parse,
> store and return assertions like:
>  _:redRestriction wdrs:matchesregex "^http://foo.example/redStuff.*" .
>  <http://foo.example/redStuff/redShoe> wdrs:matchesregex "^http://foo.example/redStuff.*
> " .

Exactly.

> Telling people that they require an extended RDF is misleading.

Telling people otherwise would be misleading. The extension is
necessary in order to
have the wdrs:matchesregex triples that the query engine or OWL
reasoner will retrieve
and act upon. Note how in Section 4.3 of the Formal doc a pair <u,re>
is in the
extension of wdrs:matchesregex IFF the string representation of the
IRI identifier of
resource <u> matches regular expression <re>; there is no requirement
that anything
has been explicitly asserted for wdrs:matchesregex to have <u,re> in
its extension.

Of course one is welcome to manually assert wdrs:matchesregex triples,
as long as
this is done consistently with the requirements of the definition in
Section 4.3. In this
case one has become a wetware implementation of the extension.

> I also noticed
>        <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
>          <owl:Restriction>
>          </owl:Restriction>
>        </owl:intersectionOf>
>
> which is an intersection of one class. How about this instead?
>
>      <owl:Restriction>
>      </owl:Restriction>

The two are semantically equivalent, and the Formal doc explicitly
allows your implementation
to use either or any other syntactic variation.

The normative document (and our reference implementation) prefers the
former, as it
preserves a syntactic symmetry with cases where multiple classes are
intersected. This symmetry
makes the transform cleaner (avoiding unnecessary if-then branches in
the document) and thus easier
to implement and check.