Re: Request for two new media types submitted

From: Stasinos Konstantopoulos <konstant@iit.demokritos.gr>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:32:09 +0200
Cc: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Ralph Swick <swick@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>

Eric, hi.

On Dec 8, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Minor nit:
> [[
>  We extend RDF with the datatype properties ...
> ]]  http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-formal-20081114/#SE
>
> would imply to me that the RDF machinery must be extended, as opposed
> to the application interpreting the RDF graph. Maybe something like:
> "POWDER-S uses an <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-semantics-20040210/syntax.html#owl_DatatypeProperty_syntax
> ">OWL DatatypeProperty</a> to relate a resource to a regular
> expression which that resource matches. While POWDER-S uses OWL
> classes to group resources, any engine determining if a resource
> belonged in one of these OWL classes would need to be able to test a
> resource against a regular expression."

No, not at all, it is the underlying RDF representation where the
explicit data lives that
is being extended; the inference layer is not affected. Of course
inference engines that
directly manipulate RDF data need to implement the extension, but in
situations where
a clean interface exists between the two, the inference engine does
not need to know
why the wdrs:matchesregex triples are asserted.

See also
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-powderwg/2008Dec/0044.html