Re: Request for two new media types submitted

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 18:36:21 +0100
To: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
Cc: ietf-types@iana.org, Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>

* Phil Archer wrote:
>On behalf of the W3C POWDER Working Group I have have today submitted
>two registration requests for Media Types. As cited in those requests,
>the key documentation is section 4 of Protocol for Web Description
>Resources (POWDER): Description Resources [1]. Although this is formally
>published as a working draft, we are close to reaching our Candidate
>Recommendation exit criteria and therefore expect to seek transition to
>Proposed Recommendation later this month.

>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc

As per RFC 4288

   As stated previously, standards tree registrations for media types
   defined in documents produced by other standards bodies MUST be
   described by a formal standards specification produced by that body.
   Such specifications MUST contain an appropriate media type
   registration template taken from Section 10.

I could not find such a template in the document. Also, given that
some http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#xml-media-types in the W3C think

  In general, a representation provider SHOULD NOT assign Internet
  media types beginning with "text/" to XML representations.

A registration request for text/powder+xml from the W3C should not
come without some form of justification for this choice.