Re: Semantics question (was Re: XSLT question)

From: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:07:29 +0100
To: Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>

I'm sorry Stasinos, this must be frustrating for you, but let me try this.

   <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&bbfc;rated" />
   <owl:hasValue rdf:resource="&bbfc;_12" />

is OK iff

<rdf:Description rdf:about="&bbfc;_12">
   <bbfc:consumerAdvice>May contain nuts <bbfc:consumerAdvice>

Because bbfc:rated appears in the restriction and in the filler, but if
we remove that bbfc:rated property from the rdf:Description, then it all
falls apart?

My basic struggle here is that (as you know) we're trying to end up with
triples that have the candidate resource as their subject. Given

   <ex:property rdf:resource="&ex;foo" />

and a candidate URI of u, well, it's easy to see

<rdf:Description rdf:about="u">
   <ex:property rdf:resource="&ex;foo" />

as the output.

Dan and Jeremy went to great lengths to explain some restrictions on
this when I saw them together in Bristol at the end of last year. This,
for example, would be unacceptable:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="u">
       <ex:property2 rdf:resource="&ex;foo" />

... it's the semantics of the blank node that mess this up - so we do
already have limits on the expressivity of a DR's descriptor element,
but being able to say

   <ex:property rdf:resource="&ex;foo" />

would be good to be able to do - even if we have to make clear the
limitations of what &ex;foo can be.