Re: §2.1.3 IRI/URI Canonicalization does not address IRIs with IDNs

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:00:58 +0900
To: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>
CC: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, public-powderwg@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Hi Phil,

I was looking into this section in your attachment:

[ Internationalized Domain Names
    * Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) should be converted from
Punycode [RFC3492] into their UTF-8 string representations. So that, for

If you have
It is not possible to decide whether it should become
since "ss" in the Punycode string could have been originally "ss" or "ß".
So I think this canonicalization step is not feasible. I'm also not sure
if it is necessary: If you get http://www.xn--exmpless-jua.org/ you
could process it in Powder just "as is", without trying to go to the
representation with non-ASCII characters. The same for
http://www.exåmpless.org/ . But maybe I missing something?

Just let me know what you think. Note that the problem of the
unidirectional relation between "ß" and "ss" is a problem of IDNs which
will soon be addressed by a proposed IETF Working Group, see