Re: Musings on resource grouping

I see your point, Phil (by the way, thanks for this explanation, which
makes clearer to me the choices made when defining the WDR vocabulary).

I completely agree that, if we have to use a rule language, we should
use a standard one. Also, we cannot oblige people to use specific tools.
Actually, I didn't mean that N3 (and Cwm) was the right choice: I used
it as an example, since it is a working RDF rule language and reasoners
exist for it.

However, leaving aside the `explicit' use of rules (which, as you say,
may be applied when specifying users' preferences), I think that it
might be relevant to POWDER the fact itself that DRs and their scope are
semantically equivalent to rules. This means that there exists a
semantic interoperability between (a subset of) the WDR vocabulary and
any (RDF) rule language, an interoperability which can be enforced by
including in the definition of the wdr:WDR class and its properties
statements saying that they are equivalent to the components of a rule.

For instance, if a DR is structured as follows:

<wdr:WDR ...>
  <wdr:attribution>
  </wdr:attribution>
  <wdr:hasScope>
  </wdr:hasScope>
</wdr:WDR>

we can state in the WDR vocabulary (or also elsewhere) that the
wdr:hasScope stuff corresponds to the antecedent of a rule, the
wdr:attribution stuff corresponds to the consequent of a rule, whereas
the wdr:WDR corresponds to the implication operator. Note that I
slightly modified the structure of a DR, which does not have a
wdr:attribution property, only to make clearer the example. I think that
it should be possible to map a DR into a rule without any modification
of its structure (actually, I have to check this).

Note that this mapping is completely transparent to end users: DRs are
expressed according to the "data-based approach" (no Semantic Web
stuff), but they can still be processed by an RDF reasoner (no matter
which reasoner). Besides establishing a strong link with RIF, this will
make people free to use the tools they prefer (SPARQL or reasoners).

Andrea