Re: Aligning grouping of resources in POWDER and WAF Access Control.

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:40:54 -0700
To: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>
CC: public-appformats@w3.org, Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>

Phil Archer wrote:
> We took the view that, with few exceptions, if you own example.com, you
> have complete control over example.example.com too.

Right, that was my view exactly.

> It means that, in the POWDER world, you could publish a description of
> "com" - i.e. everything on .com. It may be pretty meaningless, but,
> well, when did language stop people saying meaningless things? :-)

I don't think this is a problem for access-control, it just means that
the author can target very wide audiences. But that's nothing new since
he/she can already target <*>

> It's tempting to try and add restrictions such as requiring at least a
> 2nd level domain. This might have the desired effect for .com, .org etc,
> but falls down in places where third level domains are the norm (.co.uk,
> .com.au, .com.cn etc.)

FWIW, i think UAs today keep lists of such two-level TLDs. I know
mozilla does. It is useful in a number of circumstances.

/ Jonas