moving POI [was re: comments from OGC]

Hi,

When the charter of this group was developed, there was an ambiguity
regarding fixed-location POI and those POI that are, in essence,
everything else in the physical world.

I strongly recommend that if the POI spec is to be important and
valuable for everyone, the language needs to either NOT be specific
about location being fixed [an inferior solution in my opinion] or
specifically reflect support for both:

(1) fixed POI (POI which are fixed and not changing in geo-spatial
coordinates over time) and

(2) those POI that are not fixed in geo-spatial terms (cannot be
distinguished uniquely by their location in geo-spatial coordinates at
any point in time).

Please refer to numerous past meeting minutes and mailing list posts by
Rob Manson, Dan Brickley, Alex Hill and others (myself [1]) regarding
different ways to capture the spirit of points which are NOT also
places, such as "objects" "things" (including people) and non-fixed
points of interest.

Regards,

Christine

Spime Wrangler