Re: Is Location Critical to a POI

Hi all,

I've tended to be something of a quiet listener on this WG, mainly because I am currently creating a commercial tool that implements POI on the cloud and connects these to mobile devices, and have therefore had my head down working hard (www.look-here.biz - by no means complete yet...).

Just to give a summary of what I have in my POI technology:

Basic information (title, description, picture(s), sound)
Metadata (key, value pairs)
Location in time and space
Other bits and pieces related to the specifics of the point (such as radius of sensitivity, link to previous and next points, etc)
Ownership info (A layer owner can let others own points, or make the available to the general public).
Layer info (I divide points, for convenience, into layers)
Cost - each point can cost more for the people who lease it from the layer owner.

Each Layer also has similar characteristics (without the location and time).

I have many other aspects coming later, but the key point is that I see POIs as a new way of representing information that is 'all around us', but is also a connection between an advanced program on the cloud and an advanced interactive program on a hand-held device.  POI gives us a chance to use a bit of intelligence to try to reduce the stress of information overload, so in my programming, we strive for Calm Technology and Adaptive and Adaptable Interfaces.

The key is the paradigm shift from 'information on devices' to 'information all around us' where we, as users, don't really care (or even know) where it is stored, and our devices merely become portals - different information may look different depending on what device we use.

Further, there is no reason, in my mind, that a POI can't change its location and, say, move around with a person, or even under it's own programmed paths.

/Roy.
Dr. Roy C. Davies, The VR Guy.
Managing Director, LOOK-HERE IP Holdings Ltd.
Consultant and Managing Director, The Flexible Reality Studio Ltd.
Senior Research Fellow, Auckland University of Technology (AUT)

EMAIL: roy.c.davies@ieee.org, roy.c.davies@flexstudio.co.nz, roy.c.davies@aut.ac.nz, roycdavies@mac.com

LINKEDIN: http://nz.linkedin.com/in/roycdavies
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/roycdavies
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/roy.c.davies