Re: POI based Open AR proposal

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Henning Schulzrinne
<hgs@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Two quick remarks:
>
> - See LoST (RFC 5222) for an example of a global distributed infrastructure for mapping. Such infrastructure is probably well beyond the scope of the W3C.

Hadn't seen this, will take a look. http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc5222

Is the spec getting much adoption?

> - The challenge is to find the minimal set of things that *must* be standardized, not the superset of all the things that *could* be standardized. We presumably don't want to re-invent ontologies, general query languages or scripting languages. I doubt that we'll succeed if we worry about representing "return all the descriptions that are in this polygon, are owned by the National Park Service, have been recommended by the Lonely Planet, are on my Facebook friend-list must-see list, with descriptions suitable for minors and don't charge more than $5 for access", to include just a few possible dimensions. For some of these, normal XML XPath and ontology cousins will likely be needed, for others, you will have to write a program that accesses APIs that are either standardized by the W3C or, as likely, semi-proprietary.
>
> Thus, I think it would be helpful, in my view, to pare down, rather than try to re-invent the whole web.

Very well said. While much of the above query could in theory be
couched in terms of SPARQL queries (the 'ontology cousins'), the
relevant data isn't always going to be stashed in a single repository.
There will be lots of technical and business approaches here, and
that's a good thing. W3C's job is to make sure that diversity doesn't
cause too much fragmentation and confusion for end users...

cheers,

Dan