Re: resend: definition of a 'thing'

Hello Mike, all,

On 10/11/2010 15:51, Mike Liebhold wrote:
> Here's draft definition of 'thing'
>
> A ' thing is a physical object with no fixed location that may have a
> POI digital information attached that cannot be automatically detected
> by geopositioning sensors. The POI,therefore will only be detectable by
> a default visual ( or acoustic?) search, invoked by a client.

Excellent notion if you ask me. There are many things in the world we
would like to annotate that are not stationary and not feasible to track
in real time using geopositioning.

> ***
> Question: Does this require a default registry of visual or acoustic
> search services that can decode the visual ( or acoustic?) pattern to
> point the client to the appropriate URI that explains the POI format?

Require: no. Open up the possibility for: yes. You could send the
identification data together with the POI data in a use case where you
know what the user/client should be expecting, or you could have a
service that receives some sort of identication data and then returns
corresponding POI data. The format of the POI data should be the same
for both use cases, the data flow slightly different.

Regards,

Jens