Re: Facebook's definition of a Place

On 04/11/2010 14:00, Marengo Marco wrote:
> Hi,
> you may have heard that Facebook opened its APIs for reading (ok, it was available since a few months) and writing (since yesterday). I think Facebook's definition of "POI" might be interesting for our WG, even if it looks a bit too simple to me.
>
> [0] is an example request (not sure why the reply is in Italian, I think it depends on the access_token, I beg your pardon for that) and this is a snippet of the response:
>
> {
>          "name": "Pizzeria Scirocco",
>          "category": "Impresa locale",
>          "location": {
>             "street": "Via Reiss Romoli 108",
>             "city": "Torino",
>             "state": "Piemonte",
>             "zip": "10148",
>             "latitude": 45.109457124292,
>             "longitude": 7.6876812462512
>          },
>          "id": "158446267518267"
> }
>
> ("Impresa locale" is "Local business")
>
> As I said, that's probably not enough for us. But that could be a start! Are we considering a non-XML POI representation format?

Hey Marco,

The short answer: we don't know yet.

At least one person proposed that we should have:

a) a definition of what data we want to able to represent
b) a specification how to record this information in several generic
data formats, amongst which XML and JSON

AFAIK there has not been a formal decision to go this way but I have not
heard anyone speak up against it either.

Regards,

Jens