From: public-poiwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-poiwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Christine Perey
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:24 AM
To: public-poiwg@w3.org
Subject: thoughts towards a draft AR WG charter

I feel that a new WG is what is needed in order for the momentum we have
established to really build up steam among the AR community members and
to achieve the contribution it has the potential to make for the
publishers and the consumers of digital content.

The focus of a W3C WG on defining an AR data format (I am a little
uncomfortable calling this just "POI") is (I recommend):

  to define new specifications or extensions to specifications (which
exist and already work on the Web) in the area of metadata for AR and
ensuring that when a publisher associates content with "triggers" (of
any kind here: geo-spatial, visual/image, audio, etc), alone or in
combination, there is the most efficient "serving up" of the most
appropriate form of the associated content.

This as a *MANY possible triggers* (sensed by sensors in any
device-fixed or mobile--and very soon these will be the results of
sensor fusion which will make matters more complicated) to *MANY
possible outputs* problem.

For example, one possible output could be a 3D object, if that is what
was published and the device can display it, and here there are many
resolutions possible. If the device can only produce text or sounds to
augmented the experience, and there is a sound file published in
association with that trigger, then it would be the output displayed for
the user.

At the end of the day the WG's work must assure three outcomes:

1. any publisher can "prepare" content in a data format which is "AR
ready" or AR enhanced and

2. any user can have (reach the data for) the AR experience which is
most appropriate given the limitations of device, network, license
agreement with the publisher, etc.

3. the AR experience produced is a "true AR" outcome, meaning that the
digital is fully inserted or otherwise overlaying/sensed by the user in
the real world, not a visual search.

To achieve the above means creating specifications which are usable by
the existing AR SDKs and AR development platforms, with modifications,
of course.

In parallel, the work in the graphics community around X3D and Web3D
Consortium will focus on the "representation problem" of making sure
that objects look and "act" correctly in the real world.

There would also be liaisons with ISO, OMA and other organizations.

--
Christine

Spime Wrangler

cperey@perey.com