From: public-poiwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-poiwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Rob Manson
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:27 PM
To: public-poiwg@w3.org
Subject: Separation of Presentation from the Places/Things

Hi,

a while back I posted a note about the Data Model coming in 2 main
flavours[1].

        1. the data describing the physical placement of the POI
           (e.g.lat/lon/alt/x-rot/y-rot/z-rot).
        2. the content the POI is linked to
           (e.g. title, description, type, keywords, favicon/thumbnail,
           3D model, etc.).

Looking back at it I think I didn't quite express it correctly...but the
idea is important and needs more discussion.  I think with point 1. I
was really thinking about Presentation.  With point 2. I was thinking
about the underlying Place or Thing that the POI was re-presenting.

On the Data Model page there seems to be a real blurring of these 2
types of data (e.g. "Apply some CSS-like "outer-glow: 3pt yellow;"
effect to your POI").

I think clarifying this abstraction would allow the two aspects of the
Data Model to develop more freely and independently.

NOTE: In the Mobile AR space there is a constant push for more freedom
in the Presentation layer (just like CSS enabled with the web).  But in
the Data Model discussion this is quite different from separation of
Markup and Presentation.

NOTE: Dynamic behaviour (e.g. scripting) may also need to be explicitly
separated out too.

roBman

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/POI/wiki/Data_Model#Notes

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.