Re: thoughts towards a draft AR WG charter

On 30/07/2010 19:34, Matt Womer wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> First, I'm glad to see this discussion going on, this is great!  My apologies for not sticking to the +/-1 format.  As Christine mentioned I'm the W3C staff person who will be helping out this group.  There's been a lot of great discussion, and I'd like to offer my two cents before we dig into drafting a charter.
>
> Looking at the AR workshop report [1], it states two aims for a new WG, one of which is:
>
> "To develop a standard for representing Point of Interest (POI) data."
>
> This seems like a straightforward statement, but I've noticed that it seems like we don't have a common definition of POI.  Are they represented by a single set of coordinates?  Are they only locations fixed in space relative to Earth?  What is the information that pertains to them?  I'd like to offer a straw-man definition of POI for the purposes of discussion here, lets bat it around and see if maybe some of the issues get resolved along the way.
>
> [[
> A Point of Interest is an entity which has a location and about which information is available.
> ]]
>
> That's hopefully not very controversial, though it does raise more questions:  What is a location?  What information?  So let me take a shot at those definitions too:
>
> [[
> A location is a point in space that may be expressed in a geodetic system (e.g. lat/lng in WGS84), or relative to something else (e.g. "near", "in"), or a qualitative expression (e.g. "indoors", "near public transportation", "unknown").
> ]]
>
> This is more controversial as it includes complex notions of location that are probably beyond what people include in their definition of the term POI, but I think it is more useful in this context.  I don't know that it covers all cases, and I don't know just how much of that is ready for standardization, but it's a starting uh, 'point'.
>
> What information might we want to attach to such locations?  Well, anything, and that should be possible in whatever we do, but there is a set of very useful information that we could likely agree would very useful to standardize: name, shape, and temporal information.
>
> Name seems fairly straightforward and is probably something we can adopt from elsewhere.

> [...]

Hi Matt,

Overall +1 for the direction of your proposal. Defining "point of
interest" as "something with a location expressed in some absolute or
relative positioning system" seems broad enough to express what I would
want. I'd love to express points in terms like "on", "near" and "next
to" although I don't see (yet) how we would resolve those kinds of
qualifications to the correct locations.

For shape information I would love to look to the OGC and Web3D
consortium. They must have a format which suits our requirements or at
the very least help us not reinvent the wheel.

The notion of being able to include temporal information seems very
important to me if we plan to make a spec that is ready to build
compelling ARand not lagging behind proprietary solutions. I think we
should definitely keep temporal annotation in scope.

Regards,

Jens