Re: [pointerevents] Stylus eraser: should it be a new pointerType instead of a button state?

Actually, the hardware needs to handle this.

There are situations where “things happen” when the stylus enters proximity (sensing range). Sampling the Invert bit is an example of this. Most applications (and as far as I know Windows Ink) only samples the invert bit once on enter proximity. If Invert changes after that it gets ignored. (This same sort of thing happens with tool selection based on serial number. SN is only sampled once on enter. I suspect the same will happen with preferred color, style, etc.)

So if a barrel button is used for Eraser, the hardware or driver will force a leave proximity followed by an enter proximity with Invert set. So there is only one “model” (an enter with Invert set means erase mode).

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 1:15 AM, Patrick H.Lauke via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org> wrote:
>
> so what would happen if a stylus is either hovering or touching the
> digitizer, and then the eraser barrel button is pressed? does it need
> to pretend that the pen left (so firing off `pointerout`,
> `pointerleave`), and the new eraser pointer entered (`pointerover`,
> `pointerenter`)? or are we talking about having two separate models
> for pens with eraser button and pens which can be flipped (which is
> getting very confusing, at least to me)?
>
> --
> GitHub Notification of comment by patrickhlauke
> Please view or discuss this issue at
> https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/134#issuecomment-244008308

> using your GitHub account

"Whether you think you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." -- Henry Ford