Re: New webkitmouseforce* events in WebKit

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> > Does anyone know what is "the user agent’s default force click features"?
>
> Apps (such as Safari) can have different behaviours for actions that are
> beyond the strength of a normal click. This is not the same as a context
> menu. For example, Safari shows a popover of a map when you force click on
> an address, a popover to dial when you force click on a phone number, and a
> popover preview of a page if you force click on a link. It's actually a bit
> more complex than that, because the reveal animation of the popover is tied
> to the amount of pressure the user is applying.

Thanks so much for sharing the details here Dean!  I'm looking forward to
getting my hands on one of these devices and trying it out - sounds cool!

What we were talking about in that patch was a way to prevent this default
> action (while still allowing the regular click events to fire).
>

> While I'm replying, what has landed now is experimental (and hence has a
> prefix). I suggest not considering anything final until we make a proposal
> to a standards body.

Thanks Dean, that's great to here!  I didn't want to put words in your
mouth in the discussion around this. I'm looking forward to discussing APIs
for this in the context of a relevant standards group!