Re: Pointer Events Recommendation delayed by a Formal Objection

Hello all,
Since you made this information avaible for public list, let me say my
thoughts.

Personally, I think the situation between PointerEvents and TouchEvents is
simillar to situation of addEventListener and attachEvent (exept of what TE
were standartized, but attachEvent not). Let's be honest, TouchEvents is
not better than PE (even intiatiator of FO said that by mentioned what
market made decition) and currently bad guys is Apple, like in time of
attachEvent was Microsoft.

As a front-end developer, I really clearly can imagine situation where no
one pushed forward addEventListener, community sticked to attachEvent
(cannot remember % of IE in that time, but I think market also made
decition in that time). That whould be so pain, and actually it's pain now
to work with TouchEvents (I once heard about pain to work with PE from
Yandex folks, but from no one else). Maybe PE not perfectly designed and we
can easily find problems with them, but in the same time, TouchEvents are
really worse.

It's very sad what instead of pushing on Apple, some decided to push W3C
cancel Recommendation. As I understand, W3C is intended to move Web
forward, which absolutely are not TouchEvents with their broked model. In
fact, each vendor implements it in their own way and there is no really
change to have same behavior between browsers. There is no guarantee what
Apple will update their implementation when second version (or complete
errata) of TouchEvent will be published. As per separate thread, Apple has
their own heuristic around TouchEvents, and, they do not plan to share them
or remove them (as far as I know).

All these errata and second versions of TouchEvents are attempts to fix
broken thing and keep compatibility with broken code, vendor heuristics,
etc. This seems weird in a glance of PE events which are new, might be
easily arranged to developer needs and might have similar implementation
with all vendors, because, all of them (except Apple) are here and all
share many thoughts and implementation details all the time.

This is my position of this situation. Many times developers and vendors
agreed what PE is better, but all follow Apple. How much time TouchEvents
are here? I am not sure, but they never upgraded since they came to us.
Also, since they arrived and same for now -- developers always has problems
with it. So please, push Web forward, no one wants to have Web ruled by
one-vendor implementation.

Thank you.

--
@nekrtemplar <https://twitter.com/nekrtemplar>