Re: Compatibility mouse events, take 2?

Rick

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Sangwhan Moon <sangwhan@iki.fi> wrote:

> I've been wondering if there should be a opt-out mode for the user agents
> dispatching backwards compatibility events in the long run.
>
> Applications that need to work with non-PE/TE capable user agents need
> event handlers for mouse events, but they will most likely
> have to make sure that when the PE/TE handlers are being used, the mouse
> handlers don't do anything. I haven't quite tested how
> one would implement this, but from the back of my head it sounds like lots
> of carefully placed preventDefaults, or only setting up
> select handlers during initialization.
>
> I'm not sure what the best mechanism for this would be (Probably not
> another meta, that's for sure) but a opt-out for compatibility
> events sounds like a useful thing to have.

I believe the IE team's guidance has been to feature-detect for PE and
listen only for pointer events when it's supported, otherwise listen for
mouse/touch.  So the only mouse/touch handlers on a page should be for the
code that doesn't support PE.  This is _much_ simpler than what we've got
with touch+mouse events today (where developers really would prefer to
listen to one or the other, but we've argued they must listen to both).

Assuming this approach works well for developers, then I that's basically
the opt-out API - we don't need something more (no listeners is the same
thing as not firing the events in the first place).

Random strange thought re. TE: for user agents which only expose TE when
> there is a touch input device present, how should
> the user agents notify the pages if the user just plugged in a touch input
> capable monitor after the application initialized? Requiring
> the user to reload all pages doesn't sound like the best option.

Yeah this is a problem with TE.  Previously my thinking was that the only
rational thing to do was to enable the TouchEvents API all the time (and
force sites to update to expect it to be present).  I still think that's
the right solution, but I'm not sure the compat pain will be worth it now
if we see TE as legacy.  TE will still be around for a very long time, so
perhaps it's still worth trying to get rid of this irrational "touch event
API present only if there was a touchscreen at page load" behavior.