From: Rick Byers [mailto:rbyers@google.com]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 12:48 PM
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
Subject: Exposing high-frequency mouse/touch movement?

Platforms typically coalesce movement events, eg. possibly limiting them to reporting at most 1 per video frame.  Some applications want additional data, for example high-precision drawing and some games.  Windows 8 has a GetPointerTouchInfoHistory<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh454891(v=vs.85).aspx> API [1] for this (why is this just touch and not all pointers?), and Android has methods on MotionEvent<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/MotionEvent.html> [2] for getting historical data out of the event batch.

Should we be exposing something similar to the web?

Other platforms take the approach of having an API to disable coalescing/batching - eg. setMouseCoalescingEnabled<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSEvent_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/occ/clm/NSEvent/setMouseCoalescingEnabled:> [3] on Mac OS X.  One big disadvantage I see to this approach is that it treats all event consumers the same.  For a particular event, there may be one consumer that wants high-resolution data (and can process it efficiently) while other consumers may get backlogged by an unusually high event reporting rate.

Thanks,
  Rick

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh454891(v=vs.85).aspx
[2] http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/MotionEvent.html