Distinguishing input from multiple users

From: Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:54:51 +0900
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
In the specification as of today, there is no reliable way to detect/associate
input from multiple users - as PointerEvent.pointerId is the closest thing that
can be used to detect such a thing, which sadly doesn't guarantee a reliable
pointerId to user mapping.

I see two approaches for resolving this:

1) Re-define PointerEvent.pointerId in a way that:
- How indices are generated and reserved for non-mice is normative, so it
can heuristically map to a specific input device.
- Indices are not recyclable.

(and possibly add the concept of "available pointers", or redefine "active pointers")

2) Add a new deviceId member in the PointerEvent interface.

(and possibly add methods to enumerate available devices)

I'm not sure which would be the best way to handle this, although I am a bit
skeptical about the first idea as detecting the device will possibly leave corner
cases where the heuristics may fail.

--
Sangwhan Moon, Opera Software ASA