Re: Justification for the touch-action processing model

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  Addressing your first question:****
>
> The processing model is designed so that you can incorporate
> scrollable/zoomable elements as “ceilings” for the inheritance. Your map
> example illustrates this. Put a different way, we want it such that when
> you touch in a scrollable/zoomable element then you only need to consider
> the elements inside the scrollable/zoomable element to determine the
> touch-action.  Happy to add a note if that helps.

Thanks.  And is having a ceiling beneficial for any reason other than
particular implementation details in IE?  I'm not quite done the Chrome
implementation yet, but I don't think it makes anything easier for us.

As a web developer I'm definitely glad I don't have to remember to
explicitly specify touch-action: auto on scrollable elements that might
occur inside of touch-action: none regions.

Your second question:****

> Computed styles usually just reduce to a common unit/format. In the case
> of length properties, this does have the effect of needing to take into
> account parent/child relationships. But otherwise, it doesn’t. I think a
> good example of this is overflow. “overflow: auto” does not compute to
> “scroll” simply because the element now overflows. I like this design also
> because it becomes a little more straightforward to detect if a browser
> supports a particular touch-action value because the computed value only
> takes into account the specified style for the given element.

This makes sense, thanks!